Monday, September 19, 2011

Victorian Swag: On Never Growing Up

Lest I sound like a poor copy of my fellow blog authors, I will say that Victorian Swag is all the things they have mentioned... It's that moment when Mr. Darcy appears out of the fog, with his purposeful stride, just to tell Elizabeth that he simply cannot live a moment more without her... It's that moment when Marianne finally realizes that she has come to care very much for Colonel Brandon, despite the fact that he is not who she would have ever imagined herself with. (And who doesn't think Alan Rickman is oddly swoon-worthy? Honestly, ladies!)

(x)

But I think Victorian Swag is also more than just our wishes that chivalry still lived and handsome men with lovely accents would come and whisk us away from our mundane lives. It's also the magic in that moment, the little catch in your breath, as you read your favorite book for the hundredth time and Peter Pan asks Wendy to fly away to Neverland with him and stay forever young; the wonder of discovering, yet again, just what awaits Alice down the rabbit hole; or perhaps the mystery, that moment of unknowing, just as Sherlock solves what seems an impossible case. It's listening to the “How To Train Your Dragon” score again and again because you really just can't get enough. It's having a warm cup of orange spice tea while wrapped snuggly in bed.

(x)

Victorian Swag is all these things, and perhaps I can't properly put into words all the FEELINGS that run through my mind, but in the end, it sort of makes sense, does it not? Because didn't the Victorian Age glorify childhood and the mystery and wonder that surrounds this time in our lives?

What of all your swooning over Darcy and Colonel Brandon, you ask. And to that I say, let's not forget the era's namesake; was she not one of the greatest romantics of her time? Her Prince was certainly never far from her mind, even though she outlived him by forty years.

(x)

So, it seems, we are in great company here at Victorian Swag. And if swooning, romantic, fantastic, magical, and mysterious tendencies bother you, then I would advise you to go find an angry, hipster blog to read.

3 comments:

  1. I literally started squirming with excitement when I read this! Peter Pan? Historical references? Mariah! Starting off with a BANG!

    P.S. OMG the fog moment (ALL THE MOMENTS)! Colonel Brandon carrying Marianne! Catching your breath over a good read! I can't even stop with all the exclamation points!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Mariah, everything I write will pale in comparison to this post from here on out. You've set the bar very high, and it's awesome! Victoria and Albert! Colonel Brandon (Oh how I love Alan Rickman)! It's all just too much!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Sally- Excited squirming is good, right? You didn't just have to pee, I hope? I kid, I kid...

    Sarah- Somehow, I don't think this will be the case, for any of us, because really, the material just spoke for itself here! But I thank you for the compliment, kind lady.

    ReplyDelete