Monday, September 26, 2011

Wicked - the Swaggiest Play Ever!

Ok, I have no problem admitting I am an addict...a theater addict. I have seen Wicked three times, and it takes my breath away every time. The first time I saw it was with the lovely Sally at the Apollo Theater in London. The outside alone induced many a squee from the two of us, and we were practically bouncing in our seats waiting for the show to start.

I had seen one or two large theatrical productions, but none that could hold a candle to the swag that Wicked possesses. The second the music started, I was entranced. I didn't even realize I was literally sitting on the edge of my seat, gripping the arm rests until the lights came up for intermission. I turned to look at Sally, who was doing the exact same thing, and I realized that I had a tear in my eye. Let me explain to you just how big a deal that tear is. While I am a very feeling person, I am rather unemotional when it comes to movies and plays. Please don't misunderstand me! It's not that movies and plays don't touch my heart in a profound way. It's simply that I seem to be physically unable to cry at such events. Which is why I must impress upon you the impact that this play had on me that night.

And why shouldn't it? Larger than life characters with actual substance, amazing set and costumes, great music, and a love story for the ages! "Popular" will make you laugh, "As Long As You're Mine" will make you want to fall in love, and "Defying Gravity" will inspire you to push against the boundaries others have set around you and those you have set around yourself. It's no wonder I have seen it three times! The latest show I saw was at the Fox Theater in Atlanta. That, my friends, is an absolutely gorgeous theater that everyone should see. The ceiling is made to look like the night sky, complete with stars. The women's bathroom is modeled after King Tut's tomb. The bathroom, y'all. The rest of the theater is in the same style, and is just...just...well, you have to experience it for yourself. If you take nothing away from this review (which is really more of a personal reflection on a life-changing experience), go see Wicked! It will make you a better, more complete person! Just make sure you have swag-worthy companions with you.

3 comments:

  1. I REALLY want to go see it again now! It's definitely a tear-inducing show. Defying Gravity= chills. Every time. And as for The Fox... a swoon-worthy inducing experience, indeed. Did you know you can get married there? I'm going to need that to happen.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just went to see this at the Fox last night....and cried like a small child. Didn't know about weddings, but Sally and I had our junior(?) prom there in the Egyptian ballroom. Too bad such a swoon-worthy experience was wasted on high schoolers!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh my gosh, how vividly I remembering CRYING over "Defying Gravity" in London! So good! SO MUCH SWOON! And yeah... no offense to the Egyptian Ballroom, but the only good thing about junior prom was the party bus!

    ReplyDelete