Wednesday, October 26, 2011

What's Halloween without a little HP?

(x)
We all need a little Harry Potter in our lives.  And we love ourselves a healthy dose of Harry, Ron, and Hermione (really, every character).  So it is only appropriate during this throughly bewitching season that we pay homage to our Halloween heroes by showcasing our favorite scenes from the movies.  




(x)
Sarah got a little nostalgic with this one.  Who can blame her?  They were rather cute when they were 11. "I love all the Harry Potter movies!  It's fascinating to watch the characters develop and the story become increasingly intricate.  While I love the progression, the first film has my heart.  They are all just so little in Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone!  It's hard to pick just one scene as a favorite, but one that makes me smile every time is when Harry, Ron, and Hermione meet for the first time on the Hogwarts Express.  "You've got dirt on your nose, by the way.  Did you know?  Just there."  It just makes me smile.  She's such a know-it-all, Ron's always trying to impress her without seeming like that's his goal, and Harry tries to stay out of it but is really the glue that keeps them together.  They are just too precious here!!" 

(x)
Our love is not limited to witches and wizards.  We appreciate the emotional depth that every character - goblin, ghost, or house elf - brings to the stories.  Mariah explains "Trying to choose just one favorite scene out of all eight Harry Potter movies kind of makes me feel like my head is about to explode. But because it simply must be done, I shall make a valiant attempt. So, can we just talk for a minute about this scene (1) and also this one (2). In case you don't feel like watching the videos, I'm referring to Dobby rescuing Harry, Ron, and Hermione from Malfoy Manor at the end of Deathly Hallows Part One. (And also to Ron's swoon worthy "like hell" when Bellatrix tries to kill Hermione. Ugh. Just... really.) But back to Dobby. He's so brave and all he wants to do is save Harry and he doesn't even want to kill Bellatrix only "maim or seriously injure..." AND THEN Bellatrix has to go and be her evil self and throw that blasted knife just as they're apparating and they land on that gorgeous beach and my most favorite piece of score from any of the movies is playing in the background and Ron is being all protective over Hermione and Harry is too and then NOOOOOOOOO. DON'T DIE DOBBY. I love you, you big eared, ugly in a cute way, little house elf. All you want to do is follow Harry around and collect his socks for the rest of your life and then. BAM. And because he's Dobby and so thoughtful he has to make his last moment a beautiful one: "It's such a beautiful place... to be with friends." And at this point I'm in a pile of disgustingly wretched tears because if this isn't just one of the saddest things ever, then I don't know what is."

(x)
In case you are on the verge of tears from all of of the nostalgia and the reliving of one of your most be-loved character's death, we'll bring it back to some cheery moments or at least some intrigue.  Sally, literary fiend that she is, appreciates a good game-changing revelation as much as the next girl.  Her pick is also one of my favorites as it is truly when it all comes together.  "In Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban there's a scene in the Shrieking Shack that brilliantly weaves together the stories of seven different characters, especially in retrospect. I am, of course, referring to the appearance of the infamous Sirius Black, the supposed murderer of Harry Potter's parents. From Harry's anger to Hermione's defensiveness, Ron's pain and Sirius' frustration, from Snape's bitterness to Lupin's peacemaking, and Pettigrew's cowardice... what a room to be in! Everything from the backstory, the Marauders, the dramatic music, snarky comments despite not having seen each other for 12 years, the line, "I would have died! I would have died rather than betray my friends!" the aha moments, and Harry's ultimate mercy make this scene one of my favorites."

(x)

Like my fellow authors, it was hard for me to narrow down my choice. As I said before, I love it when things come together and revelations are made. My favorite scene is subtle but incredibly powerful. In Harry Potter and the Half Blood Prince, Harry wins the Felix Felicis potion and is able to persuade Professor Slughorn to reveal his memory of the night he taught Tom Riddle about horcruxes. Harry and Dumbledore then view the memory in the pensieve. This scene, in the book and the movie, takes you through so many emotions. From Slughorn's guilt and remorse to Harry's ultimate realization of what it will mean for his destiny, this scene will raise the hair on the back of your neck and force you to finish the rest of the book in one sitting. It is such dark turn in the story - so unexpected and simultaneously welcome because it explains so much about the ever-elusive Voldemort. I love it! 
We've taken you from the cute 11 year-olds on the train to Dobby's ultimate sacrifice; from Peter Pettigrew's revelation to the discovery of horcruxes, and still left so much out!  So tell us about your favorite scene.  We know you have one.  

1 comment:

  1. I LOVE HARRY POTTER. Ugh. They were so cute when they were little! And Azkaban is probably one of my favorite books of the series. SO MUCH INTRIGUE. All of the scenes with the pensieve are awesome. I'm a sucker for flashbacks. Man it was so hard to choose just one scene.

    ReplyDelete