Friday, November 11, 2011

Friday We're In Love!


clockwise from top: 1234

What do wizards, hot tea, castles, and futuristic love stories have in common? They're all jam-packed into this week's Friday We're In Love post, that's what! 


Sarah's Pick: This week, Part 2 of Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows came out on dvd. It is a bittersweet thing since it brings so many of our childhoods to a close, but at the same time, we can always go back either through book or film. Thank you J.K. Rowling.

Mariah's Pick: Something about the seasons changing makes me want to cuddle up with a good book and a teapot full of my favorite loose-leaf tea. For those of you who are tea snobs like me, and think that tea should not come in a bag, the Savannah Tea Room is like a little piece of heaven. They hand mix over 80 different loose-leaf blends; that's more than enough to feed my addiction.

Sally's Pick: All week I've been reading I Capture the Castle by Dodie Smith (the most perfect gift from a dear friend and pan pal) and oh. my. gosh. The narrator Cassandra is so funny, so innocent, and full of life that I can tell you now she's quickly become one of my favorite characters and I haven't even finished reading it yet! I've been laughing out loud over it in public and in private, simply tickled pink by her quirky and witty observations.

Ali's Pick: My pick this week is Never Let Me Go by Kazuo Ishiguro. Rarely do I recommend a book and its movie counterpart at the same time, but this is one of those exceptions. Ishiguro writes a compelling, haunting, and pry-out-of-your-hands-because-I-can't-put-you-down novel that follows the not-so-ordinary lives of English boarding school students Ruth, Kathy, and Tommy. The books twists will blow your mind.The movie came out in 2010 and stars Andrew Garfield (yes, please!), Keira Knightley, and Carey Mulligan. Grab a box of tissues before you read or watch this one. But I promise it's a must-read AND a must-see!

5 comments:

  1. HARRY POTTER! Ugh. I'm so mad that I won't be owning the blu-ray of DH2 anytime soon. Actually, I don't own any of the HP movies... I've been waiting all these years for a super-awesome box set, and now WB has announced that it won't come out until NEXT YEAR!

    I Capture the Castle is one of my favorite books! I love Cassandra, she's so quirky and relatable. The movie is also quite fabulous.

    UGH. Never Let Me Go. Talk about reducing me to a pile of tissues. I agree that this was a rare case of novel and movie both being extraordinary. Plus Carey and Keira at the the top of my list of favorite actresses and Andrew is just so adorable.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never let me know- excellent book AND movie! And kudos to Carey Mulligan, for, as always, making me love her!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely forgot that the new HP came out, so THANK YOU! And CREYES FOR EYES!!!

    Tea! Now all I want is tea! It's the perfect weather for it :)

    Never Let Me Go... somehow I didn't cry over the movie, but I was *still* left in an emotional coma.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes! Another Carey Mulligan fan. Really, can I just be her?

    ReplyDelete