Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Christmas Traditions: Film

  Clockwise from top: 1234

We all have things, whether they're movies, music, food, or even certain smells, that are a part of the Christmas season we simply cannot live without. Listed below are the scenes from some of our favorite Christmas movies that satisfy our nostalgia cravings and never fail to make us smile.



Sally's Pick:
My favorite scene from a holiday movie couldn't be more romantic or less holiday related. It is undoubtedly the scene in It's A Wonderful Life when George offers to lasso the moon for Mary. And people wonder why I have high standards! Jimmy Stewart (hellooo dream man!) has the most comforting voice in the world, fulfilling the kind of Americana spirit you always like to find in people, and Donna Reed oozes gumption, portraying just the type of classy yet sassy girl we all aspire to be saying, "I'll take it!" without skipping a beat. This is hands down my favorite exchange in movie history and while I could watch it year round, there's something especially magical about it at Christmastime.

Ali's Pick:
It's not Christmas at my house without Dr. Seuss's: How the Grinch Stole Christmas (the original 1966 version, not the Jim Carrey version). There is so much to love about this movie but I would have to say that my favorite scene is definitely the during "You're a Mean One, Mr. Grinch." Boris Karloff gives life to my favorite Christmas character with his wonderfully gravelly narration. I adore the clever lyrics of this iconic song and I love the rudimentary animation (with an unmistakably 60's look) that has the Grinch slithering up and down chimneys and across floors, stealing Christmas from the Whos. Perhaps it's the fact that this film conjures memories from childhood Christmases past; whatever the reason, this scene never fails to make me smile.

Mariah's Pick:
There's nothing I love better than finally seeing two characters who are meant for each other beating the odds and finding a way to be together. In Holiday Inn, Ted Hanover (Fred Astaire) has convinced himself that he and Linda are meant to be, depsite the fact that his best friend, Jim Hardy (Bing Crosby), is in love with her. So, after a series of zany antics, Jim locks Ted out of a film studio where his beloved Holiday Inn is being made into a real life movie and proceeds to re-create the moment that he fell in love with Linda (and she with him), well... If you didn't already think White Christmas was the most romantic Christmas song ever, you will now.

Sarah's Pick:
Buddy the Elf, what's your favorite color? Ah, who doesn't LOVE Elf. There are so many great scenes from that movie alone that just screams MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!, but there's one scene that just makes my day every time I see it. When Buddy vaults off the couch to put the star on top of the tree, I just dissolve into a fit of giggles, no matter how many times I've seen it. So, to spread Christmas cheer, watch the clip here.



2 comments:

  1. I LOVE ALL THESE MOVIES. You guys... not to toot our own horn or anything... but we have excellent taste! I want to marathon these movies right. this. second.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. When I saw the photos, I just KNEW you had chosen the best Christmas movie of all time.

      Delete