Friday, January 13, 2012

The Classic List: recap edition


The past seven weeks have been a fabulous opportunity to share some of my favorite old films. I think it's safe to say that there's no way this list is complete, but it would surely take a whole year if I wear to sit down and explain every single old movie you must see and why. Casablanca, Breakfast at Tiffany's, Singing in the Rain, Gigi, Shop Around the Corner, I could go on, but I'm hoping that perhaps my choices were a little less obvious, even though I love all of the aforementioned as well. 


So lets do a little recap of all we've learned in the past month and a half...



1) High Society- Movie-musicals normally fall into two categories: really good and really bad. There is no in-between. So when you've got Grace Kelly, Frank Sinatra, Bing Crosby, and Louis Armstrong, that makes for a REALLY REALLY REALLY FABULOUS movie-musical. Add to that some Cole Porter songs and you've got magic!


2) Sabrina- I'm always up for a good love triangle and movie make-over montage. When you put these two things together AND add Audrey Hepburn to the mix... Humphrey Bogart and William Holden will win you over as the polar opposite Larabee brothers. And then there's the clothes. My GOODNESS, the clothes.


3) Robin Hood- Two words: Errol Flynn. That's really all you need to know, but if you need more reason to watch Robin Hood: adventure, green tights, sword fights, lots of smirking, and an extremely romantic balcony scene. You're welcome.


4) An Affair to Remember- No list about old-school classic films would be complete without at least one Cary Grant film. Just make sure you come prepared with a pint of Ben & Jerry's and some Kleenex for this one. Bonus points for the gorgeous European scenery and sweet grandma.


5) Tammy and the Bachelor- Y'all have to understand that while I may not have an overabundance of affection for Gone With the Wind, Tammy and the Bachelor just does something to my little Southern heart. Debbie Reynolds is brilliant as the naive and hilarious title character and Leslie Nielson will charm you with his Southern gentleman manners.


6) Holiday Inn- The best thing about this "Christmas" film is that it actually encompasses so many holidays that it can be watched year round. E.g.: "Hey, it's President's Day, want to come over and watch Holiday Inn?" Fred Astaire does some pretty savvy dance moves and Bing Crosby's crooning will melt your socks off.


7) It Happened One Night- If you have an aversion to Clark Gable like I do, then this is the film for you. This Frank Capra directed movie is the oldest on the list and will really make you feel like you've gone back in time to the Hollywood glory days. Be prepared to be impressed with Claudette Colbert's sassy female lead.


Which of these films wins your vote? Do you prefer a bit of adventure? Romance? A good road trip film? Or perhaps some song and dance?


2 comments:

  1. While shamefully I've only seen three of the movies on this list (WHAT?!), the vote for me is easier than pie. I hands down have to go with An Affair to Remember (though a special nod goes to Sabrina- ughhh so good). The pink champagne, the French, the chemistry, "There must be something between us, even if it’s only an ocean," THE FINAL SCENE. No contest. If only more of these films were watch instant on Netflix! Bahhh!!!!

    P.S. STOP SAYING YOU HAVE AN AVERSION TO CLARK GABLE!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. THREE?! Really? You must remedy this, Sally! There's so much goodness here, it's hard to choose. I also give a special nod to Sabrina, but High Society has my heart. It's one of my favorite old movies, hands down.

    P.S.- I can't. I CAN'T!

    ReplyDelete