Thursday, February 16, 2012

The Civil Wars - Everyone Wins

X
Every now and again, there comes along an album that speaks to your soul.  Barton Hollow by The Civil Wars is one such album.  Yes, it's been out for a year now, but it's just taken me a bit to come out of my reverie.  If you looked up "musical harmony" in the dictionary, you would find a picture of these two phenomenal artists.  I get lost in the layers created by Joy Williams and John Paul White within each song: lyrically, musically, and emotionally.  The duo deservedly won two Grammy's last Sunday for Best Country Duo/Group Performance and Best Folk Album.

This is a seriously difficult review to give because I just don't quite know how to translate the depth of emotion and thought that this collection evokes.  I will highlight my five favorite songs, but that is not to say the rest of the album is not stellar.  Picking these five as my favorite is like picking the five cutest puppies out of the cutest litter with which God graced the Earth.

"C'est la Mort" - Possibly one of the most haunting songs on the album.  The repetition of "Don't go without me" totally pulls at my heart strings.

"To Whom It May Concern" - A love letter for the one and only of your life that you simply haven't met yet.  "Slowly counting down the days / Till I finally know your name."  It's elegant in its simplicity and so easy to relate to.  It certainly made Valentine's Day a little easier to bear.

"Poison & Wine" - This song perfectly captures the duplicity of human nature.  The push and pull.  The desire to separate from someone and the longing to be close to them.

"Falling" - I can't listen to this without following her downward spiral.  It's beautifully tragic or tragically beautiful - they both work.

"Forget Me Not" - I love how they still keep their folky sound with this one, but they take it in more of a country direction.  Each section is a love story unto itself, but together, they create a circle of separation and reunion.

Buy this TODAY!  Seriously, your life is not complete without it.

1 comment:

  1. ALL THE AWARDS, this album deserves all the awards! The only thing that makes it better... Listening to it on vinyl!

    ReplyDelete