Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Should I Stay Or Should I Go?

I have an incredible opportunity to attend Grad School in London for a year, which has given me a lot of FEELINGS and a lot of headaches.  I have been going around in circles in my head trying to decide if I should go or stay.  It has been a never-ending loop of "Oh my gosh, I could live in London," and "Oh my gosh, that's an irresponsibly large sum of money to spend on something that I'm not 100% sure about."  But, at the same time, how do you say "No" to the land of Victorian Swag, the origin of swoon-worthy, boot-wearing men, the home of rugby and polo, the pub hub, the place of inspiration to Dickens, the headquarters of Harry Potter....  I really think Hugh Grant says it best.  Essentially, this has been me.  Well, I have had to put my big girl pants on to attempt to make a logical, reality-based decision, but I am going to suspend that for a moment, and go through the pros and cons of things that actually matter. 

Pros:

1. It's London - this list could conceivably end here
2. The accent 

3.  The British vocabulary.  How can you not smile when they say "rubbish?"

4.  I could say things like "shall" and "worrisome" without feeling like a pompous ass.

5.  The UK is the home of Gingers and men with ruddy cheeks.  Case in point:
Seriously
6.  People saying "Harry" in a way that doesn't make me cringe.

7.  I would be much closer to the home of plaid.

8.  Tea and scones!
Yum!
9.  They say "way out" not "exit" - I just think it's cute
X
10.  I could do some major traveling to Guernsey! and the White Cliffs of Dover!

11.  I wouldn't have to wait ages to see the newest episodes of Downton Abbey, Sherlock, or Dr. Who.
Adorable!
12.  As a Southern girl, it would be much easier on parents to bring home a British man than a Yankee.

13.  Finding a guy to marry and to have lots of sex and babies with and never coming back to the States.

Cons:  

1.  I'm poor.  It's a sad fact, but it's true.

2.  The accent - There's just nothing like a man that calls you darlin'!

3.  I would miss saying y'all!

4.  I would miss sayings like "sweet as apple pie" and "bless her heart!"

5.  I don't want to get weepy every time I listen to James Taylor singing "Carolina In My Mind" 

6.  My addiction to Starbucks (yes, I'm just that American)

7.  Possibly getting run over because, even with the huge arrows written on the ground to tell you which way to look, I would inevitably look the wrong way.
Not as helpful as you'd think
8.  I would miss men wearing top siders
Get it Sperry!
9.  There would be a total lack of bluegrass and banjo music.  Mumford & Sons is one of the best bands EVER, but it couldn't hold me forever.
Perfection!
10. I don't think y'all appreciate the depths to which my love of classic country music extends.

11. I can handle the metric system, but I'm stupid when it comes to weather.  I prefer my Fahrenheit, thank you.

12. Finding a guy to marry and to have lots of sex and babies with and never coming back to the States.

As you can see, I am terribly torn up about all this, and I will have to weigh all of these factors.

4 comments:

  1. You already know my opinion on this...

    YOU MUST GO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sarah, my dear GO! I know that we don't know each other but you have a SPECTACULAR chance to go to a place that some of us(ME!) really want to go visit or stay for a while. Your pros out way your cons. Yes, I know about missing things here and worrying about how things will be over there. But think about the fantastic things (there are cheap and free options) over the pond that await you. Please go and snag a Brit to bring back home to Southern Hospitably. I agree much easier to explain than bringing home a Yankee. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love this post! Ok... so... my personal opinion. I don't think this is a question of London vs the whole of America. I think this is a question over grad school vs something other than grad school. London would be an incredible place to live, but there are other ways to be there! You could work or do an internship, anything you like. You don't need a degree in something you're not sure you actually want to use just to have an excuse to live in the land of Austen (I know this isn't the only reason you applied, but you know what I mean).

    It would be a once in a lifetime opportunity, but then wasn't our stint in France as well? And look how that turned out! Obviously they speak English in London and actually embrace something called humor in England, but that doesn't mean you won't be homesick. It's tough living abroad! People really romanticize it and you know... Sometimes it truly IS magical and romantic and other times, damn it, you just want your family and Chick-fil-A.

    But also, dude, they have Starbucks in London! Are you joking?! That should NOT be on your cons list. And in my personal opinion, their coffee tastes better over there! Plus in Scotland, they were always giving me extra shots of espresso for free because of my accent- haha.

    Obviously, if you move to London, I will come to visit (live with) you (so I can track down Richard Armitage). But I'll still come to visit you in the states as well! Don't stress! We'll all still think you're awesome and pronounce Harry correctly if you stay over here (though we might disown you if you take on a Yankee). This is quickly turning into incoherent babble, but if I were you, I would try to look at more as "do I want to go to grad school or not" instead of "should I move to London/can I afford it/etc." Answer that question and the rest will fall into place!

    I LOVE YOU, SARAH, IT WILL BE OK!!!!!!!

    P.S. I apologize... this was probably way more serious commentary than you were asking for with this post- haha.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Whoaaaa did not mean to write a blog post for your blog post! :X

      Delete