Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Good, Old-Fashioned Dating

I think I’m stating an obvious and unfortunate fact when I say that dating is hard, y’all.  I mean, it’s bad enough that they don’t make men like Mr. Darcy, Mr. Thornton, or Roger Hamley anymore, but what’s worse is that we have lost the art of dating that ruled in the 19th century.  Granted, I’m just as happy as everyone else that we don’t have to follow such strict social rules now, but you can’t tell me that you wouldn’t love to get dressed up and go to a ball.  

X
Classy dancing that doesn’t make you cringe inwardly to watch.  It’s the simple things in life.

I have a weird issue with people invading my personal space, so it would be awesome to have a social custom to follow that would require me to allow people within five feet of my personal bubble without taking steps backward.  Cause it would be terrible to hold a gorgeous guy’s hand as you get into a carriage. 

I love the Internet.  I do.  I really do, but sometimes I feel like it’s actually taking away so many opportunities to meet people.  Sober people anyway.  You can do everything online now, from shopping to watching movies to dating.  I worry sometimes that meet-cutes are one day going to be found solely in romantic comedies.  
Life is not perfect.  And I guess even back then it wasn’t easy.  They can’t all be frogs though, right?  Sometimes people seem truly horrible when you first meet them, but we can take comfort in that some of the most famous couples in literary history had really terrible first meetings.

No comments:

Post a Comment