Monday, May 14, 2012

The Hounds of Baskerville


Hello, again. Welcome back to edition two of my Sherlock FEELINGS extravaganza. I don't know about y'all, but since I cheated and watched this episode a few months ago, it's been on my mind. Lots of twisty turns, perhaps more than just bromance, and what has to be the best episode of Sherlock to date. So, lets get cracking. (See what I did there? Adler? Whips? Nevermind...)

Disclaimer: Here there be spoilers.

  • Annnnd we're back.
  • This is abnormally creepy, but maybe I'm just easily scared.
  • Leave it to Sherlock to make an entrance.
  • Like really, who carries a harpoon about.
  • "John I need some, get me some."
  • I love it when he gets all crazy.
  • "Perhaps you can put away your harpoon."
  • FAST TALKING ALERT= MELTING PETTICOATS.
  • I'm seriously digging hyped-up stressed-out Ineedacase Sherlock.
  • "It's either this, or Clue."
  • "Skipping to the night that your dad was violently killed."

  • The look on John's face when Sherlock goes off on a tangent. Priceless.
  • "Of course, I am a showoff, that's what we do."
  • John is really so embarrassed at this point, at least he's pretending to be, but I think he's secretly proud.
  • "Now shut up and smoke."

  • I seriously think when Sherlock leans over and sniffs the smoke from the Henry's cigarette is my favorite moment ever. Like giggling in bed over a cup of tea favorite.
  • "Boring. Goodbye, Mr. Knight, thank you for smoking."
  • I just want to quote this entire episode because it's SO BLOODY BRILLIANT.
  • MOFFAT!
  • "Mr. Holmes, they were the footprints of a gigantic hound."
  • Oh man, I love the moors. SO beautiful. I expect Jane Eyre to go running across them at any moment.
  • Even the barkeep thinks Sherlock and John are together. One day...
  • Trench coat with a popped collar. That is all.
  • This really is a brilliant way to make Baskerville into a modern interpretation.
  • Look at John, pulling out the military qualifications.
  • "Haven't pulled rank in ages." "Enjoy it?" "Oh yeah."
  • Whoa, super scary underground government laboratory.

  • "Did we just break into a military base to investigate a rabbit?"
  • Our two heroes just whisking through security left and right, no big deal. Just everyday business.
  • "I hardly recognize him without the hat."
  • "You being all mysterious with your cheekbones and turning your collar up so you look cool?"
  • Freaky, creepy forest. I, for one, would not be going in there.
  • "I didn't see anything." Evidently somebody's in denial.
  • My how the tables have turned. John telling Sherlock to be rational.
  • "Once you've ruled out the impossible, whatever remains, however improbable, must be true."
  • "All right, Spock, just take it easy."

  • Whoa Whoa Whoa Sherlock Holmes breakdown.
  • Dang it, Sherlock episodes. STOP HURTING MY HEART. 
  • Poor John, he didn't mean it. You are his friend!
  • Those have to be the brightest floodlights I've ever seen. Legit.
  • It's always when the music stops and there's silence that the jump out of your seat moment happens.
  • Scene: Sherlock staring moodily into the moors
  • "Funny doesn't suit you. Stick to your ice."

  • Admitting you felt doubt. What are you coming to, Sherlock.
  • Fancy meeting you here, Sherlock.
  • "Is that why you're calling yourself Greg?" "That's his name." "Oh, is it?"
  • "He's actually pleased you're here. Secretly pleased."
  • I'm afraid Henry is L-O-S-I-N-G it.
  • Oh dear. WHATSGOINGON?!
  • AH! Monkey!
  • Don't freak out, John. It's going to be okay. Just BREATHE.
  • I lied. FREAK OUT. RUN RUN RUN HIDE HIDE HIDE.
  • SHERLOCK WHERE THE EFF ARE YOU.
  • COME SAVE YOUR MAN BEST FRIEND!
  • Poor John.
  • He's so scared. I just want to hug him.
  • How can you be so calm, Sherlock?
  • What do you mean, "We've all be drugged?" The mystery thickens.
  • And we're back to Bluebell again. 
  • "Trust me, I'm a doctor." I see what you did there, Moffat. Will we be seeing a Sherlock/Who crossover any time soon?
  • "Get out. I need to go to my mind palace."
  • God, I love this show. Have I said that yet?
  • Put the gun down. Now. 
  • H.O.U.N.D. look at that. Brilliant, Moffat, simply brilliant.
  • This is so dramatic.
  • I can't take it.
  • There's really nothing to say because I can't get past the epicness that is Baskerville.
  • That looks like more than a dog to me, Sherlock. It looks a lot like Fluffy, minus two heads.
  • Lestrade, I have to say, you're pretty handsome for an old guy. Not that we discriminate against age here: i.e.- Alan Rickman
  • Poor Henry.
  • Catch him!
  • Oh man. 
  • What a terrible way to go.
  • Sherlock, how could you experiment on John like that?
  • Although, it is rather funny watching him run around the lab whilst you sit calmly on the phone with him.
  • "Got to see a man about a dog."
  • WHY are you letting him go?
  • Don't let him go!
  • He's psycho!
  • I can't even begin to think about next week's episode. It's going to shatter me.
So, basically, this has been my favorite episode to date. Dartmoor, creepy fog, lots of atmosphere and mystery= a very convincing Holmsian experience. I think Conan Doyle would be truly impressed with this modern day Baskerville. What about you, lovely readers? Did episode two entrance you or was it just so-so? See you again next week, when we deal with what has to be the most traumatic FEELING-WORTHY Sherlock story ever written. As always, have sweet sleuth-filled dreams.

4 comments:

  1. Thank you for brightening my day with a bit of SH - I've been craving so much Sherlock that it feels good to relive the episode (though it is vicariously). I'm in NZ so I cheated and acquired the episodes because I just couldn't wait. And also I missed most of the first season because they just didn't advertise it properly in NZ D:

    Yes, I was indeed entranced by this episode. And Sherlock inhaling Henry's smoke has to be my favorite moment, too - and then John's reaction to that XD Also there's lots of Sherlock going crazy in this one, what with the withdrawls and then the fear thing. For some reason I liked that, too.

    And his apology to John. I am just going to go off and be happy about that for a bit.

    I found Henry's reaction to Sherlock's deductions about him to be priceless - that moment when he refers to his breakfast on the train: "How did you know it was disappointing?" And his voice does that high squiggle - I love. It. Every. Time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm ever so glad I was able to be a day-brightener! SO GLAD! You must find a way to go back and re-watch season one, if you haven't already. It's divine and really does set up the whole Sherlock/John bromance/romance properly.

      I'm really going to need to invest in lots of petticoats for these Sherlock viewings. This is the conclusion that I've come to.

      Delete
  2. Now I know that seasons for British TV shows are half as long as American ones, but my one and ONLY problem with Sherlock is how impossibly short the season is! I know they're dancing around the canon and everything, but... what I would give to know what that harpoon was about! Alas, such is the allure and mystery surrounding Sherlock.

    This episode just gave me a lot of FEELINGS. Because...
    1. Sherlock makes that stinging remark to John about not having any friends. And you, along with Sherlock, can tell that it hurts John even though he doesn't say anything (he doesn't need to *heart-clutch*). But when Sherlock comes back later and says, "Listen, what I said before, John, I meant it. I don't have friends. I've just got one." I. nearly. DIED. Talk about ALL CAPS FEELINGS. I'm still not over this one.
    2. The comment about the cheekbones and popped collar. YES.
    3. Watson can chat me up digging for information any time.
    4. John Chivery's face. Always.
    5. When Sherlock was having his breakdown by the fireplace... ZOMG!!! Benedict Cumberbatch, you never cease to AMAZE me! My jaw was literally hanging open.
    6. Also, I'd like Sherlock to make me coffee in the morning and creepily staring me down as I drink it.
    7. When John is stuck in the lab and whispering to Sherlock over the phone... I just... his desperation, his total reliance on Sherlock, his complete trust that he is the only one who can get him out of that nightmare. OH MY GOSH!
    8. When they're caught in the fog and Sherlock keeps seeing flashes of Moriarty? Brilliant.

    I have to say, I was a bit worried going into this one because I didn't see how they could put a modern twist on the whole hound thing without making it borderline sci-fi or something. So for a while they had me going thinking it was going to be this genetic mutant or something, but the end result was absolutely dazzling. Steven Moffat is a GENIUS (ha- as IF this is news). Period. LOVED.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sally, your comments always give me lots to comment on. AND I LOVE IT. I wonder if we write in protest to Moffat if he'd agree to make extra episodes just for us. It seems only fair...

      1) YESYESYESYESYES. CAN I JUST SAY YES. I had a little heart plummet when he so stingingly told John that he was friendless, but this more than made up for it.
      2) BAM. Your petticoats have dissolved.
      3) Preach.
      4) Ditto.
      5) Seriously! Cumberbatch is finally getting his time to shine and it makes me SO HAPPY because, clearly, he's a brilliant actor and he and Hiddles and a few other actors should just have all the leading roles.
      6) I wouldn't mind either.
      7) I just want to hug John during this scene, and I think if Sherlock wasn't so busy experimenting on him, he would too.
      8) Brillant, indeed!

      I KNOW, didn't they just do it so brilliantly?! Like, I never would've come up with this scenario myself, which is why I'm not a writer for this show, but I am SO happy they didn't go into anything sci-fi because that would've totally gone against Sherlock canon.

      Delete