Monday, May 7, 2012

"A Scandal in Belgravia"


Oh man oh man, it's that time again, dearest, loveliest readers. That time where I unburden my love of all things Sherlock Holmes on you. I know you're terribly excited, who wouldn't be? Because we're not just talking about any Sherlock Holmes adaptation here, we're talking about CUMBERBATCH. Did you just get a little tingly there? Because I did. 

And since I wouldn't want to deprive y'all of my hardcore shipper feelings, I'm going to really impress scare you with my liveblogging skillz. Here we go!

Disclaimer: here there be spoilers

  • WHAT IS THIS FEELING so sudden and true? 
  • This is just the recap of how season one tore my heart out, AND I ALREADY CAN'T TAKE IT.

  • Moriarty, you devious bastard. 
  • No no NO! Sherlock! Don't blow everyone up.
  • Ah! AH! Ah! AH! Stayin' aliveeeee!
  • Wrong day to die, indeed. And we would not like to hear from you, Moriarty.
  • This beginning is a little anticlimactic after the series one ending.
  • Oh, hello, Irene Adler. SCANDALOUS.

  • 221B, How I have missed you!
  • And I've missed your blogging, too, Watson!
  • Bromance, reunited!
  • "I think my husband might be having an affair." "Yes." Cheeky, cheeky, Sherlock.
  • Would that we were all as brilliant as you, Sherlock.

  • DEERSTALKER DEERSTALKER!!!!!!
  •  Mrs. Hudson, you should know better than to go digging through the consulting detective's fridge. Of course you're going to find a bag of thumbs!
  • "Tell us from the start. DON'T be boring." I love it when Cumberbatch is all.... Sherlocky.
  • Now you see him, now you don't. Freaky.
  • "Give Sherlock five minutes on your crime scene, and try not to punch him."
  • The plot thickens. And we get some nice Sherlock  being beautiful "thinking" shots.
  • AND NOW he's doing that fast talking thing that makes my heart go pitter patter. (Yes, I'm weird.)
  • "Mr. Holmes, where you're going, you'll want to be dressed."

  • Finally, we have the infamous melange of things Sherlock knows shot.

  • Only Sherlock could get away with Buckingham Palace in only a sheet. 

  • MMMMmmm. 
  • The Mycroft/Sherlock chemistry is pretty much perfect. PERFECT, I tell you.
  • Enter: the woman.
  • I have a very bad feeling about this. very, very bad.

  • "I always hear punch me in the face when you're speaking, but it's usually subtext."
  • The fake tears, curly hair, and popped collar are just too much.

  • Awkward situation is awkward.
  • Stop killing the bromance, Irene!
  • Yet, she makes illusions to the bromance!
  • "Brainy's the new sexy."
  • "Stop boring me and think. It's the new sexy."

  • Sherlock, you better know the code! SAVE WATSON.
  • Why are Americans always the bad guys in British things?
  • Slow motion shots make my life.

  • I AM _ _ _ _ LOCKED. 
  • Fight it, Sherlock, fight it!
  • The woman who beat Sherlock Holmes. I think not. 
  • Scene transitions in this episode are Unbefreakinglievable. 
  • Giggles all around for that text tone.
  • Can't stop laughing. "What was that noise?"
  • "Shut up Mrs. Hudson." "MYCROFT!"
  • "I can put maximum surveillance on her." "Why bother? You can follow her on Twitter."
  • I get the feeling something big and bad is going to happen.
  • Especially since he's breaking out the violin.
  • Poor Molly. Sherlock can be so oblivious sometimes.
  • Cringe-y.
  • My heart just dropped a little.
  • Someone is obsessed.
  • Poor guy.
  • "Smoking indoors. Isn't that one of those law things?"
  • "All lives end. All hearts are broken. Caring in not an advantage. Sherlock."
  • WHOA. Shocker. I wouldn't have guessed that she works for Irene.
  • WHO IS NOT DEAD, BTW.
  • Oh, John Watson, sticking up for your man.
  • "You flirted with Sherlock Holmes?" 
  • "We're not a couple." "Yes you are."
  • heartisbreakingintoamillionpieces
  • This is too intense!
  • Mrs. HUDSON!
  • That yellow smiley face still freaks me out.
  • My  petticoat just melted off completely.
  • "First get rid of your boys. I dislike being outnumbered, makes for too much stupid in the room."
  • "Moron."
  • BOOM
  • "Shame on you, John Watson. Mrs. Hudson leave Baker Street? England would fall."
  • John, just admit that you love Sherlock. We can all see it.
  • Now, now, Molly. Green doesn't suit you.
  • "You think she's my girlfriend because I'm x-raying her possessions?"
  • I don't like you one bit, Miss Adler. Leading poor Sherlock on like that.
  • They'd better not be looking for baby names, Watson.
  • There you go with that speedy talking thing that gets my heart going again.
  • Okay, okay. You guys have chemistry, I'll give you that.
  • Sherlock, what have you done?!
  • Moriarty, that was not very nice!

  • More intense chemistry between Adler and Holmes. I'm still torn between wanting to kill her and shipping them like whoa.
  • I just want to cuddle Sherlock right now. 
  • The look. His face. The pain.
  • ASAKGLSDAGFKASJDJKSGDHKA!
  • HATE HER. hate her.
  • You broke my poor little Sherlock's heart.
  • Of course you're working with Moriarty. Why wouldn't you be?
  • "I said no. Very, very close. But no."
  • "Sentiment is a chemical defect found in the losing side."
  • "I always assumed that love was a dangerous disadvantage."

  • I AM SHER LOCKED.
  • "One of a kind. The one.. woman.. who.. matters.."
  • "Initially he wanted to be a pirate."
  • John, I'm just going to need you to admit your feelings. Okay? Okay.
  • Who's the joke on now, Mycroft?
  • THE Woman.
So, did everyone watch the episode? What did you think? Irene Adler: love her or loathe her? Personally, I'm still undecided, but I think that's just because I want Benedict Sherlock for myself. All in all, I'd say this was a FABULOUS way to start off the second series; it even made up for the what I thought was someone of a lackluster solution to last season's cliffhanger. I'm still ardently waiting for John to realize that he loves Sherlock. Until next week. I hope you dream of beautiful, fast-talking, curly-haired sleuths!

5 comments:

  1. I did indeed dream of beautiful, fast-talking, curly-haired sleuths! Hooray!

    Okay, so a few things that make me think this might be my favorite episode of Sherlock ever:
    1. THE HAT.
    2. So often it seems like only Watson brings out the humanity in Sherlock. Which is fine, because I SHIP IT OKAY. But... his interactions with Mrs. Hudson this episode made me want to cry in the fetal position. Admonishing Mycroft for telling her to shut up, how protective he got when she was being held at gunpoint, how he told Watson England would fall if she ever left Baker Street. UGH. My heart. Also, the whole "Merry Christmas, Molly Hooper" and kissing her on the cheek business. DEAD.
    3. Sherlock in a sheet in Buckingham palace.
    4. Sherlock's backside in Buckingham palace.
    5. Sherlock having to tell John to put his teacup back on the saucer.
    6. If only there was video evidence of my reactions a) when Sherlock takes off his scarf in the street, b) asks the assassin dude if he wants him on the floor. Farewell petticoat.
    7. The fact that he got the code to the safe based on Adler's measurements. Brilliant!
    8. Personally, I love love LOVE Sherlock/Adler and am shipping it hard. They're such a challenge to each other. I loved that he only saw question marks when he tried to make observations about her. It was FLAWLESS. The innuendo, "brainy's the new sexy," SHER locked. I just couldn't deal. And it's not because I think Sherlock needs a woman, because it's not that at all (and let's face it, he and John are already married anyway). But I loved how they were such opposites, but equals, enemies, but partners. The dynamic was so sizzling, I was going stir crazy. I mean, come on! The gibberish that spilled out of his mouth at that first meeting? Priceless! He was immediately seduced by her (whether romantically or no- I like to think a bit of both) and she resisted him... until suddenly she couldn't and the game changed. Shipping it hard!!!! Lots of FEELS. Like when she tells him she would have him begging for mercy twice, he says he's never begged for mercy in his life, and she just says, "Twice." So fierce. So perfect. LOVE. Okay. I could go on all day...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm so glad you did!

      1) YES! I squealed!
      2) Sherlock and Mrs. Hudson just tore my heart up. He would make little comments to try and brush off his protectiveness, but I just couldn't get past it.
      3) Seconded.
      4) DEAD.
      5) Ditto.
      6) I think I went through about 20 petticoats during this episode.
      7) No comment.
      8) I think I secretly do like them together, it's just that I'm having a hard time separating my love for Cumberbatch from my love for Sherlock and am therefore having a hard time feeling like Adler isn't encroaching my territory. There. I said it.

      Delete
  2. Ahh, I LOVE Sherlock. So brilliant. And you have totes impressed me with your liveblogging skillz. Your review is bringing back all the memories. And the FEELS. Haha.
    I know - my favorite thing has to be when he beats the crap out of that guy for laying a hand on Mrs. Hudson (my heart! my heart! it explodes) Oh yes, and the "Merry Christmas, Molly Hooper" thing.

    I thought Sherlock & Irene made a good pair - as Sally says they challenge each other, and I think they are attracted to each other both intellectually and physically. But - guh! When she tricks him! And poor Sherlock is all sad D: (again with the heart exploding but not in a good way).

    *sigh* This show just completes my life in a thousand different ways. Can't wait for you guys to liveblog the next two episodes as well.
    Also: VATICAN CAMEOS!! Yeah! Ok, *ahem* clearly I can become very excited very quickly about this whole thing.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I LOVE Sherlock too! In fact, my heart can barely handle all the love that Holmes has been getting in the mainstream over the past few years. It's like my one true love is finally being recognized by other people, although, I won't even get started on that new Sherlock series that CBS (I believe) is filming a pilot for. It sounds ridiculous and not in a good way. I'm glad my liveblogging skillz impressed you. I was a bit afraid this post was too much of a jumbled mess. TOO MANY FEELINGS.
      Sherlock's love for Mrs. Hudson is like puppies and unicorns and butterflies all rolled into one big strawberry shortcake. (That sounds gross, but you get my point.) And Molly, the poor dear, she just doesn't get it.

      As for Sherlock and Irene, see my above reply to Sally.

      Seriously. Is it next week yet? I might have cheated a little because I watched this episode and the next a few months ago. I was simply too impatient to wait. Which means I can say, that the next episode is the BEST Sherlock yet. CANNOT WAIT.

      P.S.- I know I know! I love that that incorporated something from the stories, that only a true Sherlockian would get. And if you didn't know that Baskerville was the next episode, this would totally clue you in.

      Delete
  3. Nice review of the episode.

    For a different look at this episode, check out my review .

    Cheers!

    ReplyDelete