Monday, June 11, 2012

On Literary Loves: A Study in FEELINGS, etc.

x
So I have to be completely honest when I say the inspiration for this blog post came to me in a moment of utter panic. A moment where I'm sitting at my laptop frantically trying to think of something that gives me lots of FEELINGS and is, above all, Victorian Swag worthy... when it came to me. And I swear it was one of those angels singing, clouds parting, light shining down moments, and I would totally mean that literally if it wasn't for the fact that it's been raining cats and dogs here for the past month. You'd think I'd moved to London or something. But I digress. What I'm trying to get around to saying is that I was sitting here and all of a sudden I found myself thinking, "Mariah, what could possibly have more ALL CAPS FEELINGS involved than childhood?" And then I started daydreaming about all the fabulously amazing books that got me through my formative years and all the swoon-worthy male characters that had me blushing furiously from such a young age. And darn it, I think they deserve just as much attention as Darcy and Rochester, because they're the characters who started my need to consume every novel in sight. So, without further ado, I give you my list of early literary loves, those guys that stole my heart a long time ago and have refused to give it back (but, hey, I'm not complaining.)

x
Peter Pan- Obviously this kid is the one who started it all. And obviously my feelings were more than a little misplaced considering Peter's the boy who never wants to grow up and all, and who wants to end up with an irresponsible, somewhat bratty boy for a boyfriend? But try telling all this to my little lovelorn heart. Because who wouldn't fall in love with his charisma and charm and adventurousness and spirit and cockiness and even that little bit of sadness that he tries to keep mostly hidden. My love for the Pan is like that one blanket that has served you well over the years, it's full of holes and has basically been loved to death, but there's no way you're parting with it because it gives you more than just ALL CAPS FEELINGS... It gives you ALL CAPS MEMORIES.


x
Gilbert Blythe- I'm not sure what can be said about Gilbert that hasn't already been said. Sally and I share a love for this adorable boy, and can you blame us? Maybe it's easy to love him because when he was busy tormenting Anne, boys were busy tormenting us, and so we had first-hand knowledge of the whole "they only tease you if they like you" mentality. Whatever it is that makes Gilbert so near and dear to our hearts, there's no denying he's got tons of it.


x
Prince Charmont- We've previously discussed my obsession with love for Ella Enchanted and the fact that it's probably the most-read and well-loved book I own. So it should come as no shock that Prince Charmont is one of the literary guys that ran circles around my young heart. I always have been a sucker for fairytales, and it really doesn't get much more swoon-inducing in the princely category than Char. 


x
Rhys- This may seem like cheating a bit since Rhys is another Gail Carson Levine character, but can I help it if the lady knows how to write a male lead? I discovered the sorcerer in middle school, not long after Prince Char stole my heart. It's just impossible to resist his combination of protectiveness and quiet longing. We're talking about seriously petticoat-lethal stuff here, people! Maybe it's just that I can't resist boys who do magic? 


x
Bill Weasley- Speaking of wizards... I'm about to admit to a very odd literary crush, because while the rest of you were sighing over Harry and giggling over Ron, I was falling in love with his older "rockstar," as the books described him, brother. I think this must've been the earliest sign of that thing that sooner-or-later infects all girls: an attraction to rebels/bad boys. But then again, it could just be the ginger thing.


x
Dexter Jones- Shame on those of you who have never read a Sarah Dessen novel. I seriously don't know how I would've made it through my teenage years without her perfectly imperfect male protagonists. Especially Dexter Jones. Oh man, band boys, they get me every time. And sensitive, somewhat geeky band boys? Consider my petticoats melted and my heart a goner. Dex had me from hello and every so often I find myself going back to him, because you never do really forget your first "love."


x
d'Artagnan- I end this list with one who may seem a little out of place. Dumas' young Musketeer stole my heart at an early age. A daring sword-fighter, and somewhat out-of-place country boy, d'Artagnan really has everything going for him. REALLY!


I probably could've continued on with my list, but since I know y'all don't want to read a book about my literary loves... 


Which characters stand out in your memories as being particularly FEELINGS-inducing? I know I'm not the only one who started young when it comes to fictional boyfriends.

2 comments:

  1. I totally wanna read a book about your literary loves! I love this post - how can anyone not like reminiscing over the literary heart-throbs?
    Also I just LOVE Dexter (with ALL CAPS FEELINGS, yes) - I love him to bits, and "This Lullaby"'s my favorite Dessen because of him (I have no shame - none).
    And PETER!! I loved Peter Pan SO MUCH. Still kinda do. I wanted to fly off and stay with him and why couldn't Wendy just get over it and spend the rest of her days in Neverland?? And he WAS sad, wasn't he? It broke my heart :'(

    I highly approve of this list. Another Bill crusher here (also swooned over Fred & George, and Sirius). Did you ever read "The Secret Garden"? The boy Dickon in it still holds onto my literary heart strings *smiles sappilly*

    ReplyDelete
  2. GILBERT BLYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYYTHE!!!!!!!!! My first fictional love and the still the truest and dearest of them all!

    And Peter Pan has always had my heart. And the majority of the male characters in Harry Potter- haha. Like Neville! And I always loved Charlie even though he was always on the outskirts. I mean... the boy worked with dragons? Hottie!!!

    ReplyDelete