Monday, July 23, 2012

M'lady Anne Elliot


Not all Jane Austen heroines are created equal, some are fearlessly feisty and some hopeless romantics, but of all of them, I think Miss Anne Elliot may be my favorite. She's surely fearless in her own way (and romantic as well), but above all she's got the perseverance thing down pat. No matter that her totally crazy family thinks she hasn't got the looks or much else to make her worth their time, unless, of course, they need someone to play maidservant. Anne silently bears everything that is thrown upon her. And she waits, longingly, for years to set right what should never have gotten thrown off track to begin with: a chance to be with her soulmate, the dreamy Capt. Wentworth. (If there's one thing we can appreciate around here, it's "THE GRAND GESTURE.") In fact, I think Miss Elliot should start giving lessons on: "How to Persevere: The Victorian Swag Lady's Guide to Making Men Swoon." I don't know about y'all, but I'd be the first person to sign up.

4 comments:

  1. Yeah, Anne Elliot ftw! Persuasion's my favorite Austen so Anne's unsurprisingly in my good books. She's kick ass in that quiet perservering way of hers, and her patience (with her annoying family, and the annoying but swoon-worthy Captin) totally pays off.
    Hmm..maybe a certain Victorian Swag lady *cough* Mariah*cough* could masquerade as said Miss A. Elliot and write those lessons for us? :P

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I feel like lots of times people jump straight to P&P or S&S when thinking of Miss Austen, and don't get me wrong, I love both of those books dearly, but it always makes me want to scream: WHAT ABOUT PERSUASION?!?!? I'm glad that I'm not alone in my love of Anne and the Captain.
      You know, that's a rather fabulous idea for a future post. But I'm not sure I'm quite up to the task!

      Delete
  2. Whenever someone tells me they want to read a classic, the very first book I point them towards is Persuasion. I DEVOURED it on the London tube, heart-clutching in public like I'd never heart-clutched before. THE LETTER AT THE END- OH MY GOSH. Anne is so secretly strong, the quiet heroine. We should all take a page from her book. I just love her!

    I do not, however, love her in the latest BBC production. I don't know what it is, but that actress really annoys me! To me, Amanda Root is the PERFECT Anne in the 1995 version. But I like the 2007 Wentworth better for... eye candy type reasons :X I know you're talking about the character in general, but I just had to say something about the films!

    P.S. Captain Frederick Wentworth is my ALL. TIME. FAVORITE. NAME of any of the Jane Austen heroes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. YES YES YES! Heart-clutches galore!!!!

      I don't like Anne in the new production either, she's annoying and totally misses the point. So we're agree on the 1995 version, but Wentworth from 2007 is just so... yummy!

      P.S.- Ugh. Seconded.

      P.P.S.- Did you see that FYA reviewed a re-telling of Persuasion today? What a coincidence! ha (The book has been on my to-read list for a while, LOVE Diana Peterfreund.)

      Delete