Thursday, July 19, 2012

M'lady Mary Poppins

X
Mary Poppins may have gone to London to help Jane and Michael Banks, but she also made a huge impact on my life.  Some of her lessons have stayed with me my whole life, and some I remember but never actually implemented.  For example, I am still patiently waiting for my clothes to magically hang themselves up and everything on my floor to put themselves away.  However, I also carry a deceptively large purse that holds everything you could possibly want on a night out.  As a child, I loved her whimsy adventures with Bert and the children through the chalk drawings, but I always found her a bit intimidating with her no-nonsense attitude.  Now that I'm an adult, I still love and envy their merry-go-round pony rides, but I am inspired by the same no-nonsense attitude that scared me when I was younger.  I find comfort in it, actually, since I am a very loving yet relatively serious person.  Her distance and seriousness is really just her way of helping the children without becoming overly involved (which would defeat the purpose of her attempt to reunite them with their father).  I'm always so sad that she has to leave in the end, but I seriously envy her ability to fly and her talking parrot umbrella.  

No comments:

Post a Comment